An Australian teenager, who travelled to Iraq and Syria to join the Islamic State, has reportedly been killed, carrying out a suicide bombing for the terrorist group.
A Melbourne teenager who went to Iraq to join Islamic State has reportedly been killed carrying out a suicide bombing.
An image from video apparently released by the group, which controls large areas of Iraq and Syria, showed a white four-wheel-drive with an inset image of a young man who looks like Jake Bilardi sat behind the wheel.
Another image posted on Twitter showed the 18-year-old sat beneath an IS flag with a caption that suggested the Australian had been involved in a “martyrdom” operation.
Militants carried out 13 suicide car bombings on security personnel positions in Ramadi, the provincial capital of Anbar province on Wednesday.
Two soldiers were killed and eight others wounded in the near-simultaneous attacks, Sabah Karhout, head of Anbar’s provincial council, said.
In a statement posted online, IS said the suicide blats had been carried out by foreign fighters from Australia, Belgium, Syria and Uzbekistan.
Images of other fighters said to have been involved in the attacks also appeared on the internet.
The suicide attacks came as Iraqi soldiers and Shia militias moved into Saddam Hussein’s home town of Tikrit, which has been held by the militants.
The city lies on the strategically important road between Baghdad and Mosul, Iraq’s second largest city and also under IS control.
The Australian government was unable to confirm that Bilardi had died in Iraq.
The teenager, described as a shy but gifted maths student, converted to Islam after the death of his mother while he was at high school.
He travelled to the Middle East last year and after two months reportedly contacted his family to tell them he was training to become a suicide bomber. However, he later told them he had changed his mind and was travelling to Syria to fight there.
The images of Bilardi and the other suspected suicide bombers were released the day after video emerged that appeared to show a young boy shooting dead a man IS claimed was an Israeli spy.
The parents of the Israeli Arab told Sky News they believed he had been killed because he had tried to run away from the group.
French officials said the boy and the man with him were French citizens who could be related to Mohammed Merah, who killed seven people in attacks on a Jewish school and paratroopers in 2012.