Police have named two suspects, Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik, as perpetrators of a mass shooting that killed 14 people in San Bernardino, California.
Police in San Bernardino, California, have named two armed suspects – Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and Tashfeen Malik, 27 – who are believed to have carried out a mass shooting in the city.
Law enforcement officials said the pair had been killed in a police shootout several miles from the site of the original attack, around four hours later. The motives behind the mass shooting, which became the 335th mass shooting incident in America this year, are still unclear.
At a late night press conference, San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan said that Farook was a US citizen who worked as a health inspector for the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health, which was hosting Wednesday’s party, where the shooting occurred.
Police said they did not know where Malik was born or where she had lived. A third suspect who had been seen fleeing the shootout was also taken into custody, though it was not clear whether he had been associated with the attack.
Asked about the third suspect, Burguan replied, “Right now, as we continue to drill down our information, it looks like we have two shooters. We are comfortable that the two shooters that went into the building are the two shooters that are deceased.”
Farook was at the gathering Wednesday, Burguan said, but he left early “under circumstances described as angry or something of that nature.”
Shortly after, Farook apparently returned with Malik, who officials believe is either his wife or fiancee. Then he allegedly opened fire.
Burguan declined to comment on what may have precipitated the attack. He and other law enforcement officials said that terrorism has not been ruled out.