At least 47 people have been killed, after a truck bomb was detonated, at a police training centre, in Libya.
At least 47 people were killed on Thursday when Libya’s worst bomb attack since the fall of Muammar Gaddafi hit a police training centre as hundreds of recruits gathered for a morning meeting.
No group immediately claimed the attack in the town of Zliten, but suicide blasts and car bombings have increased in Libya as Islamist militants have taken advantage of the North African country’s chaos to expand their presence.
Mayor Miftah Hamadi said the bomb detonated as around 400 recruits were gathering in the early morning at the police centre in Zliten, a coastal town between the capital Tripoli and the port of Misrata.
“It was horrific, the explosion was so loud it was heard from miles away,” Hamadi told press, “All the victims were young, and all about to start their lives.”
Witnesses said residents were ferrying victims to Misrata hospitals in ambulances and cars, many with shrapnel wounds and some bodies too damaged to be identified.
Medical sources had initially said 65 people had been killed, including some civilians. But Fozi Awnais, head of the crisis committee for the health ministry in Tripoli, said later that 47 people had died and 118 more were wounded.