At least six people have been killed, and a further 11 wounded, following an attack on the Pakistani consulate, in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad.
Afghan security forces exchanged fire with gunmen barricaded in a house near the Pakistani consulate in the eastern city of Jalalabad on Wednesday after a suicide bomber blew himself up, officials said.
General Ayoub Salangi later announced that the two attackers had been killed by Afghan security forces, who surrounded the empty government guest house where they had taken refuge after the suicide bomber detonated himself.
At least six people were killed and 11 wounded in the suicide attack and subsequent fighting, they said.
The attack on the consulate, which comes amid efforts to restart the stalled peace process with the Taliban and ease diplomatic tensions between India and Pakistan, resembled an attack on the Indian consulate in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif last week.
Witnesses in Jalalabad, the main trade gateway to the Khyber Pass and Pakistan, said heavy gunfire and a series of explosions could be heard and residents and children from a nearby school had been evacuated.
Attaullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the provincial governor, said a suicide bomber had tried to join a queue of people seeking visas to Pakistan and blew himself up after being prevented from entering the building. Two policemen were killed in the blast, the interior ministry said in a statement.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.