At least 12 people have been killed, following the collapse of a six-storey building, in the Kenyan city of Niarobi.
Rescue workers raced on Saturday to save more residents from the rubble of a six-storey building in Nairobi after it collapsed overnight following heavy rain. At least 12 people were confirmed dead.
President Uhuru Kenyatta visited the site of Friday night’s disaster and ordered the arrest of the owners of the building, which had been condemned by the authorities.
One man was pulled out alive on Saturday afternoon to cheers from the crowd. Earlier, Interior Minister Joseph Ole Nkaissery told reporters at the scene that the cries of a woman and child had been heard. Their fate was not clear.
“We are still hearing some voices from the collapsed building,” Kenya National Disaster Operation Centre director Colonel Nathan Kigotho said, in Nairobi’s poor Huruma district. “We don’t have the exact number of people buried in the rubble.”
He said 12 bodies had been recovered from the building.