Seven Killed In Libya Shelling

At least seven civilians have been killed, and a further eight wounded, following shelling, in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi.

At least seven civilians have been killed and eight wounded by shelling in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi, a hospital official said on Saturday.

He said the shelling had taken place on Thursday and Friday in residential areas close the frontlines in Benghazi, which has seen heavy fighting in some neighborhoods over the past two years.

Forces loyal to military commander Khalifa Haftar launched a campaign against Islamists and other opponents in Benghazi in 2014. Haftar’s forces made substantial gains earlier this year, but fighting on the edges of the city has continued.

A special forces spokesman, Fadel al-Hassi, said shelling over the past two days had come from the Sabri and Souq al-Hut districts in northern Benghazi, where Haftar’s opponents have been holding out. The claim could not immediately be verified.

Advertisements


Categories: Africa, Libya, World

Tags: , , , , , , ,

%d bloggers like this: