Nice Attack: 84 Dead, Suspect Identified

At least 84 people are now believed to have been killed, after a lorry struck a crowd, in the southern French city of Nice, whilst French media has named the suspect of the attack.

At least 84 people are now believed to be dead, including many children, following what is being considered a terrorist attack in the southern French city of Nice, the interior ministry has said.

A further 18 people are in a critical condition in hospital, with many more having sustained minor injuries treated at the scene.

A lorry crashed through a crowd during Bastille Day celebrations in the city, travelling for up to 2km through the crowd, with eyewitnesses describing the driver as swerving from side to side, in order to hit more people. Reports suggest the driver of the lorry then emerged from the vehicle and fired, before he was shot dead by police.

French media reports have identified the suspect as Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, a 31-year-old French-Tunisian man, known to police, but not previously linked to jihadist groups and whom lived locally.

The country had been due to relinquish the national state of emergency later this month, President Francois Hollande had said earlier in the day. Following the attack, the French president announced that this state of emergency has been extended, but it is yet to be seen as to how long for.

In Nice and the surrounding region, the anti-terror alert has been raised to its highest level.

France has declared three days of national mourning, beginning on Saturday.

Advertisements


Categories: Europe, France, World

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

%d bloggers like this: