At least 10 people have been killed, following attacks by two suicide bombers, on two military checkpoints, in Yemen.
Two suicide bombers tried to ram vehicles laden with explosives through two Yemeni military checkpoints near the government-held port city of Mukalla on Monday, killing at least 10 people, the army and medics said.
No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attacks near the capital of Hadramout province on the Gulf of Aden, the latest in a series of bombings since forces loyal to Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, backed by troops from the United Arab Emirates, drove out al-Qaeda militants from the city in April.
The Yemeni army’s Second Military Command, which is based in Mukalla, said militants had used a booby-trapped bus at a checkpoint in al-Burum, southwest of Mukalla, and a booby-trapped car in al-Ghaber, to the west.
“Forces at the checkpoints were able to confront the vehicles and prevented them crossing the security barriers,” an army statement said.
It said six soldiers had been killed and 18 wounded.
Medics said four civilians were also dead, and that 15 soldiers had been taken to hospital, five in serious condition.