Munich Attack: Gunman Acted Alone, Killed Himself

A deadly attack on a shopping centre, in the German city of Munich, which killed nine people, was carried out by a lone gunman, who then killed himself, police have said.

A shooting at a Munich shopping centre which left nine people dead was carried out by one gunman who then killed himself, German police have said.

The suspect was an 18-year-old German-Iranian dual national who lived in Munich, police told a news conference, but his motive is unclear.

Sixteen people were also injured, three critically, in the attack, police added.

A huge manhunt was launched following reports that up to three gunmen had been involved in the attack.

The body of the suspect was found about 1km (0.6 miles) from the Olympia shopping centre in the north-western suburb of Moosach.

Munich police chief Hubertus Andrae told the news conference early on Saturday that the suspect had lived in Munich for over two years and had not been known to police. There were no known links to terror groups, although investigations were continuing.

The earlier reports of three suspected attackers came about when witnesses saw two people leaving the scene in a car “at considerable speed”, but they were later confirmed not to be involved, he added.

Advertisements


Categories: Europe, Germany, World

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

%d bloggers like this: